Hippopotamus Images for kids
Hippopotamus Activities for kids
Hippopotamus Facts & Trivia for kids
- The hippopotamus lives in rivers, lakes and West African mangrove swamps.
- Hippopostamus's closest living relatives are cetaceans (whales, porpoises, etc).
- The word hippopotamus comes from the ancient Greek word for water horse.
- There are only two species of Hippopotamuses. The Hippopotamus and the Pygmy Hippopotamus.
- The Hippo swims and walks underwater with grace despite its massive size.
- The skin of a Hippo is up to 1 1/2in think and provides great protection.
- The Hippos main diet is grass, and they mostly graze at night.
- The gestation period for a Hippo is 240 days, which is short for a large mammal.
- A mother hippo is fiercely protective of her calf.
- The nose of a Hippo is covered with sensitive bristles.
- A Hippo can run faster than a man.
- The Hippo is the most dangerous animal in Africa.
- Baby Hippopotamus are born underwater but soon come to the surface for their first breath.
- Hippos "yawn" as a threat to show they are angry.
- The Hippopotamus is one of the heaviest land animals.
Hippopotamus Links for kids